Wednesday, October 31, 2012

A "big, happy day".

I woke up this morning when the "looster" crowed, loudly, about 10 feet from my head. And fell back to sleep promptly. Was the first night in many moons that I've slept for 10 hours. Was simply wonderful!
 After I got up I sat and groggily watched from the kitchen step while Lisl put chocolate chip muffins in the oven. Then Mom asked us to join a google hang out (video chat) and lo and behold there was a living room full of people to talk to! Including a few Lattins, was quite nice to "see" everybody again. : )
 The weather was beyond gorgeous today, I did a couple loads of laundry and got a kick out of watching the wind whip it around all afternoon. When  Halla woke up from her morning nap I took her straight outside to see the lovely weather. She was just as impressed as I was, and nicely pretended to know exactly what I was talking about when I exclaimed over the "wind in the trees, and a blue, blue sky and sunshine!!!". It had just poured down big drops of rain for a little bit too so everything was washed, fresh and cool.
 I asked Lisl (who was sitting at the picnic table with her babies, soaking it all in) when I carried the first load out, if she had any idea how blessed we are. On days like today it always amazes me how I can be so happy when I know so many people who have big, hard things they're facing. Had to think of my cousin and her husband who are going through something very very hard and unfathomable to me, doesn't seem quite fair that I get this much happiness. I'd gladly give them my happy for a while. May God bless them richly with His joy.
This evening we went over to the Airport Plaza (a mall) to meet Mae Wahn for the evening. Twas a lovely, wonderful, amazing evening. There is a link at the bottom of this post to the pictures on Lisl's blog.
 We went inside the mall to eat pizza. Pizza Company has the best pizza. If ever you come to Chaing Mai you should definitely try it. I'd tell you that you should try certain Thai foods too, but I can't ever remember what they're called. Let alone spell the names correctly! :) I think the one I'm going to miss the most though is just plain old chicken and sticky rice. It's comfort food. It makes your heart content and happy. And the only way to eat it is sitting Indian style on the floor, in a circle with good friends.
I think perhaps when I get home I'm going to make it for the youth group and make them sit on the floor in a circle to eat it. :)
Okay, back off the rabbit trail, to the mall... All down the middle of the mall there are a bunch of college-aged kids wrapping a carousal, a ferris wheel, and something else, (I don't remember what the other thing was) in florist blocks. And they have buckets and buckets of hundreds of flowers and ceder, waiting to completely cover them with. The cedar and flowers are real too, the smell made me miss the cabin.
 There is a food festival going on outside of the mall too right now. There are lots and lots and lots of food booths. You go and pick what you'd like to eat and either take it home to eat, or sit right down there at one of the 100 or 200 or so little round, yellow, tables and eat it. Dru and I picked out some Sushi to take home.  The Sushi was a first for me. And yes I liked it! : ) Although I'd be great with it not having an aftertaste.
 Lisl and Dru have the babies tucked into bed and I should head that way too.
 Here is the link to Lisl's blog.
God is very good to me! -Frank
 Quote of the day (taken from Explorers of the Nile): "We let the streams flow on and do not inquire whence they rise, or whither they flow". -Chief Kesembe
 I'm not sure why that phrase in particular caught my eye at first. But I've been thinking about it since.  How often do we need to take it in simple faith that God loves to bless us. And learn to just "let the stream flow on and not inquire whence it rises, and whither it flows". I think too often we feel we have to earn God's blessings and know why we're getting them. God simply loves to bless us. 

3 comments:

  1. A thankful heart is such a happy thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you summed up the day quite well, Frank. -Lisl

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wondered that too, why and how can I be so blessed and happy, when there are SO many people suffering! Thanks for sharing the quote! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete