Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Gray Hair and Hearing Aids



I've decided that sixteen is definitely older than fifteen, sixteen is when people start asking if you have a job. People ask what you plan on doing when you are out of school. And if you are going to Bible School next winter. But the question they ask most is "so, do you have your drivers license?". And you always primly answer no. Your younger siblings start calling you an old lady when you can't seem to get enough energy to go sledding with them, or hollering "watch out for her cane" when you start beating on someone for asking how many gray hairs you have found. Sixteen is the age when every time you are with a young mom she asks if you can baby sit next week (I enjoy doing this btw). Sixteen is when your older brother buys you a snowmobile for your birthday... Well actually he bought it for himself, but hey, if a guy has a sister who will say its hers, why not buy a third one!?
What makes a person feel really old is when you have two people congratulate you for being a grandma in one day!!!! And not just a first grandchild, a third grandchild! Okay, so maybe I should use my own chat instead of moms Google chat after this :)
But I discovered today that I am answering yes to some of the questions people ask.
Yes, I have a cleaning job, no, I don't have my drivers license, no I don't have contact's, yes, I'm graduating next year, yes, I'm planing on going to Charity Bible School next year (seems like I've been asked that by all the youth I know!), yes I will babysit next week, And no I haven't found a gray hair yet!
But I think that the most exciting yes I have is "YES, I'M GRADUATING NEXT YEAR!!!!!".
That's weird, that's something only older siblings and their friends do, not me!
I was rather shocked when I discovered today that I will be graduating next year instead of the year after next with out even trying, I mean, if you are out of schoolwork you kinda have to stop right?
------------
Quote Of The Day :
-Dad digging around with his contact case in one hand and bifocals in the other, "Frank? Did you take off with the contact solution!?".
-Me, grinning widely, "Um... Dad? I don't have contacts!".
-Dad, "You don't! Why!?".
I don't know why, but for some reason its always my fault if he is missing his leatherman or his contact solution.

10 comments:

  1. Very nice post Frances. Lucky for you, you don't wear contacts. I think I did have a grey hair or two by your age. I have drivers license but never drive anyway so it's no great loss, really. :) Proud of you for getting out of school so soon. Now you can come see me in Thailand as a graduation trip. As though we're of the ilk that does, "graduation trips," whatever they're supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're getting your just dues for calling me an "old lady" at the Father-Son Campout. :)
    Love ya,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lance and Jenny did a graduation trip to my place....and look what happened! Better go to Thailand Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose that could happen here too. Better stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait a minute!!! I want you if Lisl doesn't! Pick NE for a graduation trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. But Matt doesn't have anymore brothers! I'll stay in WI thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of food for thought here.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete