Thursday, October 4, 2012

Critters, Thai Study, Ladies Meeting, And The Market

*Critters

There is a cross-eyed frog staring at me. I find this disturbing. And I’m seriously considering going over and turning him face-about. I don’t care if it is only a toy frog.

Jube and his friends found the frog who had been making tropical noises outside of my window last evening. I didn’t hear any noises last night. If you can’t figure out why, you haven’t been around little boys very much. The funny part is that Jube still has some sort of frog residue on his hands. It’s black, and acts like pitch. But it’s not really sticky. Odd.

They found a Tokay gecko too. “When the Tokay bites, they often won't let go for a few minutes or even up to an hour or more, and it is very difficult to remove without causing harm to the gecko. For this reason, it is considered to be best as an ornamental animal for experienced reptile owners.”-Wiki

The Tokay is a very large gecko, the males can get up to 20 inches long. Some of them are a brilliant blue, with bright orange spots. The one the boys found is dead now.

I killed a large cockroach, with bug spray, and a plastic cup. While Jube stood by and said in comforting tones (to the large cockroach). "That’s okay, it will be all right. That’s okay...".

I think I’ve removed all of Jimmy’s family from my room for the time being. This I love.

*Thai Class

Yesterday when Pii Ang got here we discovered that I’d studied the wrong lesson. This was disturbing to me. I’m not a confidant student by far, and studying the wrong lesson is very addling to my poor brain. On the whole I’ve really enjoyed it though. Right now I’m not sure how much farther I want to go with it, since I pretty much know everything thing I’m actually going to use. So we shall see what happens with that.

*Ladies Meeting

Lisl and I went to ladies meeting this morning. Twas very nice. Joyce had a lovely table set when we walked in the door and a yummy breakfast prepared. My Mom would describe Joyce’s house as “a lovely, gracious, home”. And it’s every bit true.

The ladies are lovely women too. I was sitting there hearing the talk going on. And it occurred to me that ladies like these are the role models for we young “plain” girls. Gracious women who’s goal in life is to stand behind their men, be encouragers to all, and glorify the Lord.  I’ve had virtually no youth interaction since being here and its been a growing time for me in realizing how many trivial things there are that I as a young person am inclined to cling to.

*Market

We all piled into/onto the truck the other day, dropped the babies off at Mae Wahns, and Dru went to a coffee shop, while Lisl and I went fabric shopping and explored the market. It was one of those times when you suddenly discover that you’re completely spoiled and life is good. I got a beautiful piece of blue fabric and some presents for home people.

We found roses and orchids and gerbera daisies to make bouquets with… While slurping two different stands versions of strawberry shakes. Mine was too better Lisl!(Mine had a distinct gelatin flavor, this is not a bad thing. I’m the person who always liked the grape flavored children's Motrin).  And when we were done we went and found Dru hiding in an air conditioned coffee shop. Eating cheese cake. And we informed him in one unanimous breath that we wanted double cheese burgers and fries. So we went and found a McDonalds. We drove about on one-way back roads, going the wrong direction, and pretending that we couldn’t read any of the signs. Because we’re farangs of course, so we don’t know what a one-way sign looks like, ahem.

We found a parking lot, and after the gentleman in a uniform made Dru get back in and park between the lines *giggle*, we walked through the ritzy hotel and finally found a McDonalds. If ever you decide that you’re sick of “gross fast food cheeseburgers and fries” try going for a month without any form of beef. That meal was heaven on earth. : )

So goes my life in Thailand. God is very good to me! –Francis

2 comments:

  1. Elv laughed in all the right places, Frank.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We enjoy reading your updates!! I can identify with the feelings of the frogs and 'geckos'!!

    ReplyDelete