Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"Eeyore was saying to himself, "This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it."

I, for one, do not agree with Eeyore. Perhaps it was because he was a vegetarian... Maybe all those thistles made him prickly, whatever the case, Eeyore, I regret to say, was wrong. There is something in  this "writing
business", words...
 I have this odd habit. When I read a book I nearly always see what the first word of the book was and decide whether or not it fits well with the last word in the book. Someday I'm going to write a book that begins with Sunrise and ends with Sunset. And another that begins with Spring and ends with Autumn,  not fall as if something large is crashing to the ground, but Autumn as if something beautiful is metamorphosing into something just as beautiful. I shall write a book that begins with In and ends with Out. "In the beginning". "On its way out". I will be known throughout librarydom not only for what is in-between the beginning and ending words of my books, but for the beginning and ending words themselves. I don't think authors spend nearly enough time, if any, thinking about that important part of writing.
And I suppose since I have aired my views on this you are all going begin looking at the the beginning and ending words of my posts. Forget it. I'm talking about books, and short stories, and poems. Not blog posts.
 And speaking of blog posts. Whoever thought of the word blog should have thought for a while longer... It rhymes with smog, and bog, and log... All very post inspiring words I must say! Face Book though, I have to admit is worse... What do you think of when you think about the words Face Book? I think of a book, with a face on the front of it, or a book shaped like a head, and when you open the book up the pages are all oddly shaped. That, I'm afraid, is even less inspiring when it comes to writing than the word "blog" is, perhaps that's why face book tends to contain so much nonsense. The words "blog" and "xanga" at least inspire the imagination!  

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I___imagination!" I guess it works. Perhaps a subtle reference to an overactive one? Perhaps Facebook (which to me is brings a mental image of someone with a book stuck to their face, nose protruding through the binding) is the way it is due to the blindness induced by said "facebook" (I imagine)? ~GB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what Abbey and Frances said to eachother that was deleted? Hmmmm....
    In theory, I disagree with Eeyore, but I believe it could apply to Facebook? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Eeyore was right on! Words. It's all just meaningless garble...nothing in it. And the fb argument...gmail has those same stuff...like buzz. It's more about if you want to get sucked into it. Like I am....fb and all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They say that if you throw a stone into a pack of dogs; the one that gets hit yelps.
    Do you have to be a non-facebooker to notice this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it rather funny that my poor little post about words turned into a debate about face book, I was just teasing when I wrote that last little bit and it just popped into my head as I wrote it, no for-thought whatsoever went into it! Maybe I should learn to think before I write if I'm gonna post it! But then I guess its like Moms said... And Jenny, Abbey's comment had to do with facebook as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the words "face book" make me think of "what you see is what you get", and a lot of times facebook doesn't get much deeper than that - it's mostly just surface. (not w/ everybody you understand. But w/ the majority, I think it doesn't go much deeper than 'face' value)
    As far as the word "blog", doesn't it come from "log" & "book" put together? (You should know more about it, because you read way more than I do ;) ) ...didn't they keep log books on ships, writing about the voyage and stuff?

    ReplyDelete